- The average adult heart beats 72 times in a minute. This is 100 000 times a day, 3 600 000 times a year, and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime!
- A kitchen faucet would have to be turned on all the way for at least 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the heart in an average lifetime.
- The myth of a broken heart may not be off base, since a breakup with a loved one or news of a death can lead to heightened risk of heart attack. Such trauma can also trigger the release of stress hormones into the blood that temporarily stun the heart. This results in the symptoms of a heart attack, chest pain and shortness of breath.
- A glass of red wine will go straight to your heart – scientists have attributed the heart benefits of red wine to the grape skins used in producing it. They are full of anti-oxidants.
- Laughter really is great medicine! A hearty laugh can send up to 20% more blood pumping throughout your body.
A woman’s heart typically beats faster than a man’s. The heart of an average man beats approximately 70 times a minute, whereas the average woman has a heart rate of 78 beats per minute.
- One person’s system of blood vessels is over 60,000 miles long, which is long enough to go around the world twice.
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can continue to beat even when separated from the body, as long as it has an adequate supply of oxygen.
- The heart is capable of squirting blood at a distance of up to 30 feet.
- Your heart is almost entirely made out of muscle, and if harnessed properly, it could lift over 3000 pounds!
- Taking care of your heart is an important factor that contributes to your overall well-being. If you are looking for an experienced